Nature and Animals

Fleas and Ticks

1 - Fleas and Ticks, as well as annoying, are hazardous to health?

Unfortunately yes. Feeding both blood, in case of massive infestation can cause anemia also very series. But even a single parasite can seriously affect the health of the dog: fleas convey tapeworm (intestinal parasite) and a few bites may already trigger an allergic dermatitis.

Ticks are even more dangerous because they convey a number of diseases (Piroplasmosi, Ehrlichiosi, Lyme disease) always quite serious and often the prognosis uncertain.

2 - What are the best pesticides?

Unfortunately it is not easy to fight external parasites, because pesticides are almost always highly effective when they appear for the first time on the market ... but their effectiveness decreases exponentially in a few years.

Not the fault of the manufacturers, but the parasites that develop themselves a form of resistance against the active: a spray or a collar which eliminated one hundred percent of the parasites ten years ago now can at most reduce the infestation of 10-15%.

The quick answer, then, this seems: the best pesticide is the most recently formulazione.In part is a correct answer, but there is also to say that some of these products "shooting fleas with cannon": or, just to secure a lasting economically productive use doses of the active ingredient so high as to cause damage to the dog (contact dermatitis, or real poisonings in case of overdose or accidental ingestion).
So it is always better to test the product on a small portion of skin (if it is a spray) or leaving it on the dog for a few hours (if it is a collar) to ensure that there are no reactions alarming before proceeding to the actual treatment.

3 - It 's true that ticks are more resistant to treatment flea pesticide?

Yup. On average, a product that protects against fleas for three months is effective for one month against ticks.

4 - E 'can simultaneously use more than one pesticide product?

Some combinations are possible (to be agreed with the veterinarian), but not all: it is always better to run a test to make sure the dog is not allergic to the components of either product.

Care must be taken in each case, because all the active ingredients are (at least in part) toxic: an overdose can literally poison the dog.

5 - What happens if the dog licks after being treated with a pesticide?

Accidental ingestion of these substances can be very dangerous and must absolutely avoid it. After treatment (especially if you have used a spray) you have to keep the dog separate from any playmates and monitor so that you do not lick, at least until the hair is completely dry.

6 - How do I disinfect an environment where there are fleas and ticks?

Unfortunately the disinfection of the premises and of objects such as kennels, cots etc.. is always problematic: There are special products for the disinfestation of the environments, but usually is highly toxic substances, so it is always advisable to keep the dog away from the treated for at least 24 hours.

7 - If you find a tick on your dog, what do i do?

Remove immediately, but not limited to "pull it off", because you could extract only the body and leaving the rostrum (head) sticking in the skin of the dog, where it could cause an infection.

The possible modes of extraction are two: if you do not feel disgust in touch with the parasite hands can "unscrew" literally turning it counterclockwise until you feel that no longer resisting extraction.

If the owner does not bring himself to directly touch the tick can "intontirla" using a cotton ball soaked in olive oil, alcohol, ether, acetone or other substances still (everyone has his favorite!). After holding the mint wrapped in cotton soaked for a few minutes you I will try to pull it out with tweezers: also in this case you can pull only when no longer feels resistance by the parasite, but it is always better to act with a slight twisting motion counterclockwise.

8 - How many types of ticks exist?

Unfortunately many! Only in Italy there are dozens of different species, usually with a strong preference for a particular host species (dogs, sheep, cattle, volatile)... But all, unfortunately, willing to "settle" for any guest warm-blooded, including humans.

The most common among those that attach to the dog are of two types:

a) those tiny and round, dark gray, more diffuse towards August-September (in fact are called "september" in some areas Italian, while in other places are called "sinkers"). They are devoid of rostrum and therefore easy to remove, but just as easy to heavy infections. It seems clear that the "sinkers" not veicolino piroplasmosis;

b) larger ones, gray or greenish, that when they are engorged with blood can reach the size of a small hazelnut (if females), while males seem "spiders" small usually reddish, grays or blacks.

9 - Keeping a dog in the house is to risk being bitten by fleas and ticks?

Absolutely not: on the contrary, the opposite is true. The pests are attracted to body temperature, that in the dog is higher than in man: then, being able to choose, you always attack the dog, saving man. Not surprisingly, the majority of cases of bites to humans occurs in the absence of the dog, or concerns that ticks do not have the dog as a guest preferential.

10 - What should I do if a tick bites a person?
First, do not be alarmed: Not all ticks are infected, and not all are a danger. The methods for extracting the tick from the skin are identical to those already described for the dog: later you have to keep controlled (to 40 days) the part where he suffered the sting. If manifests as redness, likely symptom of borreliosis, or Lyme disease, must consult your doctor immediately to begin antibiotic therapy leading to complete healing. If there is no redness of the skin is likely that the tick is not infected, and then there will be no consequence: to be more relaxed, in any case, you can do a blood test for detecting antibodies antiborrellia. If you are you will start antibiotic therapy, otherwise you will be treated to an unpleasant adventure without consequences.


a - Collars pesticides - preventive action. Some very effective, others - especially the older ones formulation - now not very effective. Lifespan: from one to three months.
b - Powders pesticides - treatment of infested animals. The immediate effect is good, but not long lasting. Do not go well as prevention.
c - Shampoo pesticides - as powders.

d - Pesticides spot-on - preventive action and treatment of infested animals. Must be reapplied every three months.

and - Spray - preventive action and treatment of infested animals. Some excellent, other less effective. On average should be applied at least once a month.

f - Tablets antipulce - preventive action. Given monthly, make it impossible for the hatching of flea eggs and cause premature mortality during embryogenesis.
The flea however must sting the dog to gas, then the tablets are not suitable for people with problems of allergic dermatitis.

g - Ultrasound Devices - preventive action.

Guaranteed for one year,completely non-toxic, could be the ideal solution but the evidence on the effectiveness at the moment are rather mixed.

Taken from

About the author


I live in the countryside with my family, dogs, roosters and hens. I have a degree in Foreign Languages ​​and Literatures and I teach English and German. I am canine breeder, I love dogs, especially Great Danes, I breed. Besides this I love cooking, il cake design, books, humanities, DIY, it-yourself, hobbies paper, the miniature, the decoration and furnishing of the house and everything that is creative.

Leave a Comment